About

Monday 5 September 2011

"Big Iron", "Brand New Cadillac", "Walk of Life" - the latest platters from The Fulminators




First up, the only genuinely brand new recording, my version of Marty Robbin’s  "Big Iron", a 1959 single that was the first track on the platinum-selling Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs LP.  Johnny Cash recorded an excellent acoustic version towards the end of his career, but I wish he’d done a classic Tennessee Two cover, with Luther Perkins doing his “boom-chikka-boom-chikka” guitar thing - so I’ve tried to do that here.
                                                        
Vince Taylor
I recorded a version of Vince Taylor’s seminal British rock ‘n’ roll single, "Brand New Cadillac", some time ago. I wanted to re-record the vocal, but discovered I only had an MP3 version of it, so I’m stuck with the original voice(s). Not ideal - but I’m pleased with the instrumental bits (especially the drums).



Finally, another one I recorded a few months ago - apologies to all of you who had a bellyful of “Whisperin’” Mark Knopfler back in the 1980s, but I’ve always enjoyed "Walk of Life" - although I prefer the genuine Cajun cover by Charles Mann (Knopfler also preferred it to his own). Here, I just wanted to deconstruct and reproduce each bit of the Dire Straits record. I’m singing about as high as I can manage without doing myself an injury!


No comments:

Post a Comment