About

Wednesday 13 January 2016

A brilliant Lego tribute to Lemmy - and a bit of Bowie (because there hasn't been enough, obviously)



And my three favourite covers of Bowie songs:





And yes, that is Davie Bowie on backing vocals - and saxophone, apparently.

Here's my favourite among Bowie's cover version of other people's songs - in this case, The Merseys' lovely 1966 hit, "Sorrow":


Glancing at Bowie's discography, it seems only two of his singles did better in America than here:"Fame" in 1975 and "1987's "Never Let Me Down" (me neither), with "Let's Dance" reaching No. 1 on both sides of the Atlantic. Only two of his albums charted higher in the States - Space Oddity (1969) and Station to Station (1976). Presumably that's because, whatever Bowie's musical merits, he was quintessentially English - with a dash of European avant-gardism thrown in. The oddest thing about him was that, despite all his poncing about and the frocks and the arty pretentiousness, he was never annoying. I don't remember him ever whining or preaching, and he had the same sort of London lad likeability as David Beckham. And, although his music wasn't rootsy enough to hit my spot, he did make some terrific records. I was somewhat alarmed to discover that I share David Cameron's enthusiasm for Hunky Dory, which is the only Bowie album I bought at the time. As for singles, "Sound and Vision" is probably my favourite:




No comments:

Post a Comment